Green Island walking track
Hat Head National Park
Green Island walking track goes through coastal heathland to a lookout with scenic views to Smoky Cape Lighthouse, offering excellent birdwatching and whale watching.
- Hat Head National Park in North Coast
- 3km return
- Time suggested
- 1 - 2hrs
- Grade 4
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch or whale watch.
An energising, medium level walk to delight both birdwatchers and wildflower enthusiasts. Green Island walking track leads through woodland and heath to a lookout with brilliant views to Smoky Cape Lighthouse in the northern section of Hat Head National Park.
The track leads through groves of paperbarks and grass trees. At the junction with Smoky Cape walking track, turn east, as the path meanders through heathlands dominated by banksias. In spring, the surrounding shrubland erupts with dazzling colour, with exceptional displays of flannel flowers and paper daisies.
Reaching the lookout, gaze across to Green Island, just 100 metres from the coast. Here, you’re most likely to see shore birds such as egrets, spoonbills and pied oystercatchers. Make the most of the fabulous location and enjoy a leisurely picnic, relishing the sweeping coastal views and fresh coastal breezes, before retracing your steps.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6566 6168
- 73 Trial Bay Gaol Road, Arakoon NSW 2431
- in Hat Head National Park in the North Coast region
Hat Head National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day.Buy annual pass
Things to do (23)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (7)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Canoeing/paddling (2)
- Cultural heritage (2)
- Fishing (3)
- Historic heritage (10)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (6)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (1)
- Sightseeing (12)
- Snorkelling and scuba (1)
- Surfing (1)
- Swimming (4)
- Walking (9)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)