Smoky Cape Range walking track
Discover the beauty of the South West Rocks region on the Smoky Cape Range walking track. Hike this 5.5km coast walk and enjoy sensational views.
- 5.5km one-way
- Time suggested
- 2 - 3hrs
- Grade 4
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, sunscreen, hat
- Please note
- Starting at Overshot Dam at Little Bay, follow the ridge to The Gap Beach and Smoky Cape tracks. A one-way journey can take up to 3 hours.
- You may wish to bring your camera and keep an eye out for whales and birds as you go.
If you’re an adventurous walker, you’ll love the Smoky Cape Range walking track.
This 5.5km coastal track begins near Little Bay picnic area in Arakoon National Park, near Kempsey on the north coast of NSW. Start at historic Overshot Dam, then simply follow the ridge to The Gap Beach and Smoky Cape tracks.
As you walk you’ll come across beautiful, diverse scenery including heathland, rainforest and grassy woodland. Depending on the season, you might see wildflower displays or spot whales from the cliffs.
When you arrive at Smoky Cape, head to Captain Cook’s lookout for a picnic lunch and a tour of the lighthouse. Or you can always do the walk in reverse and finish at the picnic area at Little Bay.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6566 6168
- 73 Trial Bay Gaol Road, Arakoon NSW 2431
- in Hat Head National Park in the North Coast region
Hat Head National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day.Buy annual pass
- in Arakoon National Park in the North Coast region
Arakoon National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (23)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (7)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Canoeing/paddling (2)
- Cultural heritage (2)
- Fishing (3)
- Historic heritage (10)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (6)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (1)
- Sightseeing (12)
- Snorkelling and scuba (1)
- Surfing (1)
- Swimming (4)
- Walking (9)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)