Golden Stairs walking track
Katoomba area in Blue Mountains National Park
Golden Stairs walking track is a short, steep walk, near Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. Though challenging, it offers incredible views and access to the Jamison and Kedumba valleys.
- No wheelchair access
- 1.6km return
- Time suggested
- 1hr - 1hr 15min
- Grade 5
- What to
- Drinking water, first aid kit, sunscreen, hat, raincoat, snacks, sturdy shoes, suitable clothing
Experienced walkers will enjoy the challenge of walking down and back up Golden Stairs walking track. The 200-metre descent through multiple cliff bands offers fantastic views of Dogface Landslide and the Three Sisters, as well as Jamison Valley and Mount Solitary.
Once you reach Federal Pass at the bottom, take some time to rest and look for lyrebirds, black cockatoos and rosellas. Summer walkers may also see dragon lizards and snakes, so tread carefully and respect the native wildlife that call this area home.
You’ll want to save some energy for the climb back to the top as it’s very steep and takes around 45 minutes. If you’re walking in spring or summer you’ll see wildflowers like waratahs and mountain devils, and you might catch the sweet smell of pink boronias.
Golden Stairs walking track is a popular starting point for overnight walkers who can continue their adventure along Federal Pass. Heading south you’ll reach Ruined Castle, Mount Solitary and the Kedumba Valley. To the north, you’ll continue on to the Landslide, Three Sisters, Giant Stairs, and Leura Forest.
Historic Federal Pass is a challenging walk in Blue Mountains National Park. Set out from either Leura or Katoomba and enjoy views of the Three Sisters, waterfalls and Scenic World.
Mount Solitary walking track
Take a challenging, multi-day hike over Mount Solitary in Blue Mountains National Park. Enjoy scenic mountain views, historic heritage, and bush camping, starting out from Katoomba.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Blue Mountains Heritage Centre and Blackheath office
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4787 8877
- 270 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath NSW 2785
- in the Katoomba area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Katoomba area is always open but some locations may close at times due to maintenance, poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (95)
- 4WD touring (3)
- Aboriginal culture (5)
- Adventure sports (10)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (10)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Cycling (7)
- Environmental appreciation/study (2)
- Historic heritage (8)
- Other experiences (6)
- Photography (3)
- Picnics and barbecues (6)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (3)
- Sightseeing (53)
- Swimming (2)
- Walking (51)
- Waterfalls (32)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)