Gloucester River walking track
Barrington Tops National Park
Gloucester River walking track offers scenic views, walking, swimming, picnicking, wildlife, and birdwatching in Barrington Tops National Park, near Gloucester.
- 2.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 1hr - 1hr 30min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Please note
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out, remember to take a hat and plenty of water.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
- Strong currents may be present at Gloucester River – take care in the water and please supervise children at all times.
- If you’re bushwalking in this park it’s a good idea to bring a topographic map, compass and GPS.
- This walk involves wading across Gloucester River, so it is advised not to attempt this during times of heavy rain as the river can rise quickly.
- This walk may also be closed at different times of the year due to weather or fires, so it’s advised to check with the local Gloucester office on 02 6538 5300.
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Gloucester River and Gloucester Tops may be inaccessible during periods of wet weather
- A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters
This track is an ideal walk for your next family getaway, and the rich nature wonderland is perfect for budding David Attenboroughs. Starting at Gloucester River campground, this walking track takes in the scenic river and nearby gullies, with great views, and plenty of chances for birdwatching and wildlife spotting.
Crossing the river, look for the shy platypus and long-necked tortoise before climbing uphill through paperbarks and towering Sydney blue gums. The cries of yellow-tailed black-cockatoos above the canopy often mingle with the ever-present sound of rushing rapids from below. You may hear the piping shrill of lyrebirds, and see the tell-tale signs of a satin bower bird nest.
Round off your walk with a swim and a riverside picnic and, if you’re hooked, make a weekend of it by camping overnight at Gloucester River campground and in the morning set out along Sharpes Creek walking track.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Barrington Tops National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.