Gibraltar-Washpool World Heritage walk
North Coast, Country NSW
All the practical information you need to know about Gibraltar-Washpool World Heritage walk.
Grade 4Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
3 - 4 days
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Short steep hills
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
There are three places at which to begin the walk:
- To reach Mulligans Campground, drive 94km west from Grafton or 68km east from Glen Innes along the Gwydir Highway.
- To reach Boundary Falls Campground, drive 102km west from Grafton or 60 km east from Glen Innes along the Gwydir Highway.
- To reach Bellbird Campground, drive 89km west from Grafton or 73 km east from Glen Innes along the Gwydir Highway.
Parking is available at Gibraltar-Washpool World Heritage walk at Mulligans picnic area, Boundary Falls picnic area (Gibraltar National Park) and Coombadjha campground (Washpool National Park).
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Gibraltar Range National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
The most popular time of the year to visit, spring sees the park erupt into a vibrant display of wildflowers, including the Gibraltar waratah.
Take in an early morning bushwalk before the day heats up, then cool down in one of the many waterways, like the Little Dandahra Creek.
It can be below freezing at night, but the daytime temperatures make this the best time of the year to take in some of the longer treks like the Gibraltar-Washpool World Heritage walk.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
13°C and 24.1°C
1°C and 13.2°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
You’re encouraged to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer.
Drinking water is limited or not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
Maps and downloads
- Glen Innes office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6739 0700
- 68 Church Street, Glen Innes NSW 2370
- in Gibraltar Range National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Gibraltar Range National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather, road damage, or high fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park uses a self-registration fee collection system. Please bring the correct change and display your receipt.Buy annual pass
- in Washpool National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Washpool National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day applies only at attractions in the Glen Innes area. The park uses a self-registration fee collection system. Please bring the correct change and display your receipt.Buy annual pass