Katoomba area in Blue Mountains National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Federal Pass.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Federal Pass walking track is in the Katoomba area of Blue Mountains National Park. You can join Federal Pass at four places:
- From Leura Cascades, you can access the start of the walk via Leura Cascades Fern Bower circuit.
- From Echo Point in Katoomba, follow Three Sisters walk for 450m then descend Giant Stairway. Follow Dardanelles Pass to connect with the start of the track at Leura Forest. For a shorter walk, head towards Scenic World, where Dardanelles Pass joins Federal Pass a short way along.
- Alternatively, descend via Furber Steps, near Scenic World on Cliff Drive, where you’ll join Federal Pass about halfway. From here, you can walk to Ruined Castle, passing Golden Stairs on the way.
- Golden Stairs descends from Glen Raphael Drive, (unsealed) on Narrow Neck Plateau south Katoomba. Descend to the intersection with Federal Pass; turn right to go to Ruined Castle where the track ends, or turn left to walk back towards Scenic World, Furber Steps, Giant Stairway and finally Leura Forest.
Parking is available at all sites where you can access Federal Pass, with paid parking at Echo Point. Federal Pass can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking might be limited.
Toilets are available at the nearby Leura Cascades picnic area and at Scenic World
Picnic tables are available at the nearby Leura Cascades picnic area
A kiosk is located at Scenic World
Maps and downloads
Pets and domestic animals (other than certified assistance animals) are not permitted. Find out which regional parks allow dog walking and see the pets in parks policy for more information.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Blue Mountains Heritage Centre and Blackheath office
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4787 8877
- 270 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath NSW 2785
- in the Katoomba area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Katoomba area is always open but some locations may close at times due to maintenance, poor weather or fire danger.