Dawson River walking track
Brimbin Nature Reserve
Starting at the Brimbin picnic area near Taree, Dawson River walking track follow the mangrove-lined waterway of Brimbin Nature Reserve, and joins with a historic bullock route.
- 1.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 45min - 1hr 15min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
Dawson River walking track is a great hike that starts at Brimbin picnic area. Before or after your picnic lunch, take a stroll on this picturesque walking track that follows the line of Dawson River before joining up with the historic bullock route of Old Port Macquarie Road. This road is an important part of New South Wales’ colonial heritage.
While walking this track, see if you can find a narrow-leaved red gum, which rarely grows this far north. If you’re very lucky, you may even see a koala, as this gum provides important food and habitat to this animal. You’ll also pass grey myrtle, swamp oak, water gum and two types of mangrove: grey and river. Take along binoculars and see if you can spot birds as well as nests in the mangroves. Brimbin is home to raptors, waterbirds and woodland birds. Overhead, you may also see seabirds. This walking track provides a great opportunity for birdwatching.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Taree office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6552 4097
- 78 Hargreaves Drive, Taree NSW 2430
- in Brimbin Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Brimbin Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to flood events, poor weather or fire danger.