Circuit walking track
Watagans National Park
Circuit walking track is a short walk near Newcastle. Plunging into rainforest, following the creek as it passes a dramatic moss-covered rock wall, this is a great place to visit.
- Watagans National Park
- 0.6km loop
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 4
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- Boarding House Dam picnic area is a popular destination for daytrippers, so parking may be limited.
- There is limited/no mobile reception in this park
Starting at the Boarding House Dam picnic area, Circuit walking track offers you an easy hike along the creek as it threads through pristine native rainforest. Stroll beneath blue gums, grey myrtle and turpentine, keeping an eye out for lyrebirds and an ear open for kookaburras. A dramatic rock wall covered entirely in moss makes for a beautiful spectacle on the trail – so don’t forget the camera.
In summer, the rainforest makes for a cool retreat, with trees and ferns shading the trail from the sun. But for an even cooler one, bring your swimmers along and make your way into the creek or dam at the end of the walk for a paddle. Finish up with a long picnic, taking advantage of the free barbecues on offer.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Lake Munmorah office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4pm.
- 02 4972 9000
- 1 Blue Wren Drive, Wybung NSW 2259
- in Watagans National Park in the North Coast region
Watagans National Park is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather, roads closures or high fire danger.