Cathedral Rock track
Cathedral Rock National Park
Cathedral Rock track is an exciting and challenging walk, near to Barokee campground and Round Mountain, offering scenic views across the New England Tablelands from the summit.
- Cathedral Rock National Park in Country NSW
- 6km loop
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 5
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Please be aware that boulders along this walk will be slippery when wet
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
Hike up Cathedral Rock to sit on a natural throne – perched on 200m of stacked boulders – and survey your kingdom. The nearby Round Mountain is the highest point of the New England Tablelands, although only by a royal whisker at 1584m.
The track is most easily accessed from Barokee campground. Follow the circuit clockwise and hike through sub-alpine woodland to the summit turnoff. Rock-hopping is the scientific term for what you’ll be doing for much of the next 400m as you clamber over boulders and straddle crevices. On the way back, keep following the circuit around through a protected valley of manna gums.
For the intrepid, pack headlamps and set out to Cathedral Rock at sunrise or sunset. Remember to take your camera, a raincoat, warm clothes, and a flask of coffee to reward yourself with for when you reach the top.
Cathedral Rock lookout
Cathedral Rock lookout is in Cathedral Rock National Park along Cathedral Rock track. Perched atop remarkable stacked boulders, it offers panoramic views of the surrounding tablelands.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Glen Innes office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6739 0700
- 68 Church Street, Glen Innes NSW 2370
- in Cathedral Rock National Park in the Country NSW region
Cathedral Rock National Park is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (9)
- Aboriginal culture (1)
- Adventure sports (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (6)
- Geotourism (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (2)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sightseeing (8)
- Walking (6)
- Waterfalls (2)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (4)