Brooms Head to Illaroo
Yuraygir National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Brooms Head to Illaroo.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
7 - 8hrs
Quality of markings
Short steep hills
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Brooms Head to Illaroo is in the central precinct of Yuraygir National Park. To get there:
- Turn off Pacific Highway at Maclean
- Follow the signs to Brooms Head and Sandon River
Park entry points
- Poinsetia Crescent access See on map
Parking is available at Brooms Head, Sandon River and Illaroo campground.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Yuraygir National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Autumn is the perfect time of year to go beach fishing along the park's coastline.
The park's heathlands provide a spectacular display of wildflowers. Check them out on your choice of walking track, including the Wilsons Headland walk and, of course, the Yuraygir coastal walk.
Visit in summer to make the most of the park's countless beaches and waterways. Swim, surf or snorkel – cooling sea breezes provide welcome relief in hot weather.
Plan a winter trip to go whale watching. The sight of migrating whales swimming north to warmer waters is second-to-none, and there are magnificent viewing points at Red Cliffs lookout and Brooms Head.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
20°C and 26°C
9°C and 20°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Toilets can be found at Brooms Head, Sandon River and Illaroo.
- Fresh water can be found at the intersection of Minnie Water Road and the campground entrance approximately 2km south of the campground
- You’re encouraged to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer during the fire season.
Maps and downloads
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters
- Grafton office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6641 1500
- Level 4, 49 Victoria Street, Grafton NSW 2460