Box Head track
Bouddi National Park
This easy walk winds through bushland to the Box Head lookout, offering scenic views across the Hawkesbury River and cross Broken Bay and Lion Island to Sydney.
- Bouddi National Park in Sydney and surrounds
- 3.1km return
- Time suggested
- 45min - 1hr 15min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
Park entry fees apply in the Putty Beach area only
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
Amble along the park’s most southern ridge, taking in breathtaking water views over the Tasman Sea and Hawkesbury River as you go.
Beginning at the end of Hawke Head Drive, Box Head track alternates between rugged bushland and open windswept heath.
Keep your eye out for hidden treasures as you walk – an assortment of birdlife flits amongst the red gums and the rocky outcrops host a variety of moss and dwarfed trees.
You’ll find clifftop patches offering panoramas, particularly at the end of the track from Box Head lookout, where you’ll enjoy fantastic views over Tallow Beach, Little Tallow Beach, Broken Bay, Lion Island and Sydney's northern beaches. The track is joined by Flannel Flower walking track and Tallow Beach trail, which descends to Tallow Beach campground.
Take a virtual tour of Box Head track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Girrakool office
- Monday to Friday, hours vary.
- 02 4320 4200
- 59 Girrakool Rd, Somersby, NSW 2250
- in Bouddi National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Bouddi National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park has pay machines that accept both card and coins.Buy annual pass
Things to do (70)
- Aboriginal culture (13)
- Beach (3)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (12)
- Canoeing/paddling (4)
- Cultural heritage (2)
- Cycling (5)
- Educational activities (1)
- Fishing (3)
- Geotourism (1)
- Historic heritage (10)
- Other experiences (3)
- Photography (4)
- Picnics and barbecues (6)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (2)
- Sightseeing (34)
- Snorkelling and scuba (1)
- Swimming (5)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (36)
- Waterfalls (2)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (7)