Blackbutt walking track
Dorrigo National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Blackbutt walking track.
Grade 4Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
3 - 4hrs
Quality of markings
Short steep hills
Quality of path
Rough track, many obstacles
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Blackbutt walking track starts at Never Never picnic area in Dorrigo National Park. To get there:
- Follow Dome Road from Waterfall Way (1km south of Dorrigo) to Dorrigo Rainforest Centre.
- Dome Road veers to the left at Dorrigo Rainforest Centre. Follow for 10km to Never Never picnic area.
- Alternatively, commence Blackbutt track from the small carpark 5.5km along Dome Road from Dorrigo Rainforest Centre.
Park entry points
- Dome Road See on map
Parking is available at Never Never picnic area. The western trackhead offers only two or three parking spaces, but other off-street parking locations are available nearby.
Best times to visit
The weather at Dorrigo National Park can vary from warm to mild to cool, depending on the time of year you visit. The summer months usually have the highest rainfall.
The rainforest is alive with birdlife - walk the Lyrebird Link for a close up view.
Escape the summer heat along one of the waterfall tracks and feel the coolness envelope you.
Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
Maps and downloads
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in Dorrigo National Park in the North Coast region
Dorrigo National Park is open daily (except Christmas Day) 9am to 4.30pm but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.