Bay Cliff walking track
Nadgee Nature Reserve
Fire affected area
Some areas of this park were affected by fire in 2019/2020. You’ll notice some changes to the landscape, as well as signs of recovery. Some areas may remain closed for longer to allow habitat to recover or because we’re repairing park infrastructure. Stay safe with these after-fire tips for visitors.
Bay Cliff walking track offers families and bushwalkers an easy hike along the beach and the past the lake. Enjoy birdwatching and fishing along the way.
- Nadgee Nature Reserve
- 1.2km loop
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr 30min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch and whale watch.
On the Bay Cliff walking track, you’ll follow the edge of Wonboyn Lake where you can see pelicans and waterbirds feeding, with shell middens around the shore. Then head through the forest to secluded Wonboyn Beach. The views across Disaster Bay and the magnificent outcrop of Bay Cliff only emphasise the reserve’s beauty.
There are also plenty of resting spots for little legs on this short walk. Indulge in some fishing in the lake or sea, it’s especially rewarding here.
Look for the yellow-tailed black cockatoos in the woodland; they love stripping the paperbark trees for the wood grubs underneath. At dusk, look out for elusive ringtail possums. These nocturnal creatures may just be waking up for the night.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Merimbula office
- Monday to Friday and some weekends during peak holiday periods, 10am to 3pm.
- 02 6495 5000
- 47 Merimbula Drive, cnr Sapphire Coast Drive, Merimbula NSW 2548
- in Nadgee Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Nadgee Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.