Cape Byron Lighthouse Friends
Cape Byron State Conservation Area
Looking for volunteer work with a view? If you’ve got a minimum of 3 hours a week to spare, come and be part of a friendly team at Cape Byron. Lead guided tours of the museum and lighthouse and share the area’s fascinating maritime history with visitors.
- Visitors, events, education, tour guides
7 days a week, for a minimum of 3 hours, between 10am and 4pm.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse, Cape Byron State Conservation Area
Volunteering at Cape Byron is packed with rewards. Join the friendly crew at this iconic lighthouse on Australia’s easternmost headland. Help local and international visitors appreciate Cape Byron and learn about its traditional owners, the Arakwal People of Byron Bay. Share the history of this fascinating part of NSW coastline as you guide people through the museum or up into the lighthouse. At the top, where the view is superb, point out passing ocean wildlife such as rays, sharks, dolphins, turtles or migrating whales. Whether you can spare 3 hours a week or 3 days a week, taking part in this volunteering activity will entitle you to regular reward days, including whale watching trips.
So if you’re someone who’s enthusiatic about face-to-face contact with the public and interested in maritime and natural history, join Cape Byron Friends for a truly rewarding experience. First aid training and guiding information resources and uniform are all provided.
- in Cape Byron State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area is open all hours, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct is open 8am to sunset.
- The Maritime Museum in the former Lighthouse Keeper’s office at the base of the lighthouse is open 10am to 4pm daily.
- Opening before 8am for events or disabled access can be arranged by prior notice – contact NPWS Byron Bay office during business hours 02 6639 8300.
Park entry fees:
Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct and Information Centre: $8 per vehicle per hour/$4 per hour motorcycles. Maximum 1 hour per vehicle per calendar day, including all NPWS annual passholders.
Captain Cook lookout, Cosy Corner, and The Pass: $4 per vehicle/motorcycle per hour. Coin-operated and credit card payment available.
Coach entry: $26 per coach up to 30 seats; $50 per coach 31 to 43 seats; $83 per coach 44 seats and over.Buy annual pass