Tomaree National Park
Samurai Beach is a designated nude-bathing beach near Port Stephens in Tomaree National Park. It’s a beautiful spot for surfing, swimming and 4WDing.
Popular with Nelson Bay locals, this south-facing surf beach lies between One Mile Beach and the rugged coastline along Big Rocky Island.
Reach this clothing-optional beach by walking from the Big Rocky area along informal walking trails. You can also drive there via Gan Gan Road, but only if you have a 4WD vehicle. Be sure to drive your vehicle only where permitted on access trails and the beachfront. Do not drive on the fragile dunes behind the beach.
Samurai Beach is for day use only. Before you drive, check if there are park alerts or closures because this beach can sometimes close to vehicles for safety reasons.
Samurai Beach campground
Set up camp behind the dunes at beautiful Samurai Beach campground, near Port Stephens. This 4WD-accessible campground and nearby Samurai Beach are both clothing-optional.
These maps give a basic overview of park attractions and facilities, and may not be detailed enough for some activities. We recommend that you buy a topographic map before you go exploring.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Nelson Bay office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4984 8200
- Level 1, 12B Teramby Road, Nelson Bay NSW 2315
- in Tomaree National Park in the North Coast region
Tomaree National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (106)
- 4WD touring (4)
- Aboriginal culture (9)
- Adventure sports (4)
- Beach (9)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (43)
- Canoeing/paddling (10)
- Cultural heritage (1)
- Cycling (14)
- Environmental appreciation/study (1)
- Fishing (19)
- Historic heritage (18)
- Horse riding (2)
- Other experiences (2)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (25)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (3)
- Sightseeing (31)
- Snorkelling and scuba (2)
- Surfing (8)
- Swimming (17)
- Walking (43)
- Waterfalls (1)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (2)