Cape Byron State Conservation Area
All the practical information you need to know about Wategos Beach.
Getting there and parking
Wategos Beach is 2km east of the Byron Bay town centre. To get there follow Lawson Street (which becomes Lighthouse Road) and look for the signs to Wategos Beach
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Wategos Beach. It can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking might be limited
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Cape Byron State Conservation Area. Here are some of the highlights.
With the weather being a bit cooler, it's the perfect time of year for walking, barbecues and picnics on the beach.
Summer holidays beckon you – enjoy swimming, snorkelling, surfing, building sandcastles, or relaxing in the shade.
Cape Byron is a great spot to watch for whales on their annual migration - remember to take binoculars.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
22°C and 27°C
15°C and 21°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
- Cold showers
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - easy
Wheelchair accessible toilet facilities are available.
- Cape Byron Information Centre
- 9.30am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day
- 02 6639 8300
- 199 Lighthouse Road, Byron Bay NSW 2481
- in Cape Byron State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area is open all hours, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse lawn is open 8am to sunset.
- The Maritime Museum in the former Lighthouse Keeper’s office at the base of the lighthouse is open 10am to 4pm daily.
- Opening before 8am for events or disabled access can be arranged by prior notice – contact NPWS Byron Bay office during business hours 02 6639 8300.
Park entry fees:
Cape Byron Lighthouse lawn and Information Centre: $10 per vehicle per hour/$4 per hour motorcycles. Maximum 1 hour per vehicle per calendar day, including all NPWS annual passholders.
Captain Cook lookout, Cosy Corner, and The Pass: $5 per vehicle/motorcycle per hour. Tap and pay card or phone payments accepted at pay machines. Cash and credit cards accepted at Cape Byron Information Centre.
Coach entry: $30 per coach up to 30 seats; $57 per coach 31 to 43 seats; $94 per coach 44 seats and over.Buy annual pass