Waalimma picnic area
South East Forests National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Waalimma picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Waalimma picnic area is in the Waalimma precinct of the South East Forest National Park. To get there from Nungatta:
- Take the Imlay Road, then turn south onto Nungatta Creek Road
- Follow this for 8.5km until you reach a T-intersection
- Turn right onto Poole Road and follow for 16.4km
- Finally, turn right at Waalimma Road and follow it to the end, approximately 11.8km, and park at the campground.
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Waalimma picnic area can become boggy when it rains.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in South East Forests National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Head to the Bombala River in the early morning or late afternoon to see platypuses - look for circular ripple patterns in the water.
See Nunnocks Swamp and grasslands in its spring bloom glory.
A great time for a walk in the park – try the easy Goodenia Rainforest walk through a lush gully of ferns covered by a dense canopy of tall lilly pilly trees.
After a day exploring, get cosy in front of an open fire at historic Alexanders Hut, Nunnocks Swap.
You'll need to bring your own cooking water.
- Non-flush toilets
You’re encouraged to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer during the fire season.
- Fire rings (bring your own firewood)