Turkey Flat picnic area and bird hide
Murrumbidgee Valley National Park
Set on Murrumbidgee River, Turkey Flat picnic area and bird hide is a great picnic spot. Visiting these NSW wetlands is a top choice for things to do in Leeton.
- Picnic areas
- Murrumbidgee Valley National Park
- Opening times
- Turkey Flat picnic area and bird hide is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
Located on the Murrumbidgee River floodplain, Turkey Flat is a site of global bird conservation importance and listed in the Directory of Important Wetlands. Plus, it’s one of only a handful of places where you’ll find a bird hide set amongst an ample forest of protected river red gums.
Why not come along and discover for yourself why this place is so special? Pack your hamper, binoculars and camera and check out the birds’ natural behaviour through the camouflage of the bird hide. From spoonbills to swamphens to sandpipers, there’s a world of birds awaiting you, though visiting after heavy rain offers the best birdwatching experience.
Turkey Flat picnic area and bird hide is a great option when you’re looking for things to do in Leeton. Look out for reptiles and kangaroos, peruse the interpretive panels and remember to use the bird ID sign to confirm which species you’ve spotted. You can also use your smartphone to scan QR codes to hear the calls of birds and frogs in the wetland area.
Why not visit at various times throughout the year to see how the resident bird population and landscape colours change with the seasons?
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Griffith office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6966 8100
- 200 Yambil Street, Griffith NSW 2680
- in Murrumbidgee Valley National Park in the Murray-Riverina region
Murrumbidgee Valley National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.