Turingal Head picnic area
Bournda National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Turingal Head picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Turingal Head is in the northern precinct of Bournda National Park. To get there:
- Take the Sapphire Coast Drive from Tathra or Merimbula
- Turn into Wallagoot Lake Road and follow this through past the boat club for another 2km to the end at Turingal Head carpark
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Turingal Head picnic area. Please note that this is paid parking. It can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking might be limited.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Bournda National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
As the weather cools but the waters are still warm, it's a great time to enjoy the Kangarutha walking track. Swim along the way at secluded beaches. It will feel like you have the place to yourself.
Enjoy the colours of wildflowers and the take in the smells of spring as the park comes alive. Head to the lookout at North Tura, find a sunny spot and look out for whales passing in the distance.
Discover the water activities on offer. Paddling at Bournda Lagoon, sailing on Wallagoot Lake, fishing at Wine Glass Bay or surfing and swimming at any one of the secluded beaches.
- There is limited water available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- Firewood is not supplied and may not be collected from the park.
- You’re encouraged to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer during the fire season.
- Non-flush toilets
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
- Viewing platform at top of Wine Glass Bay
- Toilet at the carpark
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
Pets and domestic animals (other than certified assistance animals) are not permitted. Find out which regional parks allow dog walking and see the pets in parks policy for more information.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Merimbula office
- Monday to Friday and some weekends during peak holiday periods, 10am to 3pm.
- 02 6495 5000
- 47 Merimbula Drive, cnr Sapphire Coast Drive, Merimbula NSW 2548
- in Bournda National Park in the South Coast region
Bournda National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to extreme weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. This park uses a self-registration fee collection system, please bring correct change.Buy annual pass