Threlfall picnic area
Oxley Wild Rivers National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Threlfall picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Threlfall picnic area is in the Gara Gorge precinct of Oxley Wild Rivers National Park. To get there:
- Drive from Armidale along Waterfall Way for approximately 2km
- Turn left into Castledoyle Road and drive for approximately 15km
- At Gara Gorge, follow the signs to Threlfall picnic area.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Threlfall picnic area.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Oxley Wild Rivers National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
A great time to tackle the Green Gully track when the days are not too hot and the nights not too cold.
The heathlands are a riot of colour when the flowers are out.
The waterfalls are likely to be at their most impressive after the summer rains.
Crisp, cool and clear days are good for a brisk half day bushwalk.
Water is available at this picnic area, but will need to be treated before drinking. It’s a good idea to bring your own drinking water.
- Non-flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
Maps and downloads
- Armidale office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm.
- 02 6738 9100
- 145 Miller Street, Armidale NSW 2350
- in Oxley Wild Rivers National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Oxley Wild Rivers National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
There are 3 areas in Oxley Wild Rivers National Park where you'll need day use vehicle permits: Halls Peak campground and picnic area, Riverside campground and picnic area, and Youdales Hut campground and picnic area. Day use vehicle permits can be bought online or by calling the National Parks Contact Centre on 1300 072 757. If camping, permit fees are included in the campground fee.Contact us for permits