Sawn Rocks picnic area
Mount Kaputar National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Sawn Rocks picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Sawn Rocks picnic area is in the Sawn Rocks precinct of Mount Kaputar National Park.
To get there from Narrabri:
- Drive 3km north along the Newell Highway towards Moree, then turn right into Killarney Gap Road (Bingara Road).
- After about 35km, you'll see the Sawn Rocks turn-off on the right.
To get there from Bingara:
- Drive approximately 65km east along Killarney Gap Road
- You’ll see the Sawn Rocks turn-off on the left
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Sawn Rocks picnic area, including a designated disabled spot. Bus and caravan parking is available. It can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking might be limited.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Mount Kaputar National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
This is one of the best times of year to visit the park, with ideal temperatures for bush walking, cycling and camping.
A beautiful time of year to enjoy the abundant wildflowers and birds.
Escape the heat of the plains by heading up into the park.
Experience the mist surrounding the high plateau area and enjoy the beauty of the occasional blanketing of snow. Be prepared for the temperatures about 10°C cooler than in the nearby town of Narrabri.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
21°C and 35°C
7°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Water is available, however you’ll need to treat or boil it before drinking.
- Non-flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
- Assistance may be required to access this area.
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.