Salt Caves picnic area and Pilliga lookout tower
Pilliga National Park
Pause at Salt Caves picnic area on your exploration of Pilliga Forest and Timmallallie National Park. After a barbecue lunch, take a short walk to look for birds, or a longer hike up to Pilliga Forest lookout tower.
- Picnic areas
- Pilliga National Park
- Please note
- Rainwater is available at the picnic area, however you’ll need to treat or boil it before drinking.
- It’s a good idea to check road conditions before setting out – contact Pilliga Forest Discovery Centre for up to date information
Enjoy your lunch in the company of the birds at Salt Caves picnic area in Timmallallie National Park. It’s a scenic spot to pause for a picnic or barbecue on your exploration of Pilliga Forest.
Work off your lunch with a hike up the escarpment to the Pilliga Forest lookout tower where you'll be treated to breathtaking views across the vast Pilliga Forest. On a clear day you can see all the way to the Warrumbungles to the south-east, and Mount Kaputar Park in the north-east.
For a shorter stroll, take the 1km walk to Salt Caves Dam, a popular watering hole for the native wildlife and a great spot for birdwatching. The cave itself is an important Aboriginal site and is an excellent example of shelters used by the traditional Gamilaroi people.
Before you head out to the Salt Caves, get the low down on where to go at the award-winning Pilliga Forest Discovery Centre, in Baradine.
Salt Caves campground is a good base when visiting Timmallallie National Park and Pilliga Forest. Explore the nearby Salt Caves and walk up to Pilliga Forest lookout tower.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Pilliga Forest Discovery Centre
- 9am to 4pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6843 4011
- 50-58 Wellington St, Baradine NSW 2396
- in Pilliga National Park in the Country NSW region
Pilliga Forest is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.