Mongarlowe River picnic area
Monga National Park
Under the shade of eucalypt forest, this sheltered picnic site is an ideal place to start exploring Monga's rich habitats with easy strolls, swimming, and birdwatching.
- Picnic areas
- 715 River Forest Road, Monga, NSW, 2622 - in Monga National Park in South Coast, Country NSW
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
If you’re looking for a quiet place to get back to nature, you’ll love Mongarlowe River picnic area. Nestled under the shade of eucalypt forest in the heart of the park, this sheltered area is an ideal place to begin exploring Monga's rich habitats.
Enjoy lunch at one of the picnic tables before taking an easy stroll along Waratah walking track to the gently flowing Mongarlowe River. Unwind to the soothing sounds of the water flowing and keep your eyes peeled for platypus swimming in the river.
In October and November, the distinctive bright red Monga and Gippsland waratahs flower, attracting birds and insects that feed on the sweet nectar, making this a fantastic spot for birdwatching.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Narooma office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm. Office open by appointment only. Closed public holidays.
- 02 4476 0800
- 10 Graham Street, Narooma NSW 2546
- in Monga National Park in the South Coast and Country NSW regions
Monga is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.