Marmong picnic area
Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area
Marmong picnic area is an idyllic place to picnic by the lake, with opportunities for walking, swimming, boating, paddlnig, fishing and birdwatching within Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area.
- Picnic areas
- Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area in Sydney and surrounds, North Coast
- What to
- Drinking water, sunscreen, hat, binoculars
- Please note
There is limited mobile reception in this park.
Nestled in the bush within Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area, you’ll find idyllic Marmong picnic area. It’s perfect for families and those looking for a moment of serenity by the lake, yet there’s also plenty to do.
It’s a beautiful spot to stop for a bite to eat while bushwalking along Awaba Bay Foreshore walk. With an abundance of birdlife, it’s also a great place to get out the binoculars for a bit of birdwatching. You can also enjoy a refreshing swim in the lake or throw in a line and try your luck fishing. It's a great paddling destination if you have your own kayak or canoe and, if you’re out on the water, you might catch a glimpse of a dolphin or a sea turtle.
For those who just want to relax, there's plenty of soft, grassy patches to spread out a blanket, admire the scenic views across the lake and laze away the day under the trees with a good book.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Newcastle office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4946 4100
- 1 Wetlands Place, Shortland NSW 2307
- in Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area in the Sydney and surrounds and North Coast regions
Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to extreme weather or fire danger.