Girrakool picnic area
Brisbane Water National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Girrakool picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Girrakool picnic area is located in the northern section of Brisbane Water National Park.
To get there from the F3 Highway:
- Exit Central Coast Highway towards Gosford
- Take the first left onto Wisemans Ferry Road
- Take the first left onto Old Pacific Highway
- Take the first left onto Quarry Road
- The picnic area is through the tunnel and straight ahead
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
- Parking is available at Girrakool picnic area, including 1 accessible parking space.
- There's a wooden beam runs along the length of the carpark; people with reduced mobility may need assistance to get across the wooden beam.
- Please be aware of the carpark opening hours; gates are locked at closing.
There are 2 accessible flush toilets at the picnic area (1 male and 1 female). You can reach the toilets along a paved pathway.
- Flush toilets
The picnic tables and barbecue shelter are set on concrete slabs. There is a pathway to some of the picnic tables in the lower section of the picnic area.
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
There's step-free access around the picnic area, which is mostly flat:
- There are no formal pathways in the upper part of the picnic area. You'll need to cross over a flat grassy area to reach the facilities.
- In the lower part of the picnic area, there's a sealed pathway leading to the amenities block, picnic tables and barbecue area.
- There's a paved path to the accessible toilets.
- Step-free outdoor pathways
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
The picnic area is mostly flat with step-free access:
- There are no formal pathways in the upper section of the picnic area. You'll need to cross over a flat, grassy surface to reach the picnic area facilities.
- In the lower section of the picnic area, there's a sealed pathway leading to the picnic area facilities.
- There are accessible toilets and a paved path to reach them.
People with reduced mobility may need assistance to cross over the wooden beam that runs along the length of the carpark.
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
Open fires and any form of solid fuel are not allowed.
Pets and domestic animals (other than certified assistance animals) are not permitted. Find out which regional parks allow dog walking and see the pets in parks policy for more information.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- in Brisbane Water National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Two picnic areas in Brisbane Water National Park close in the evening:
- Girrakool picnic area is open 7am to 8pm during daylight savings and is open 7am to 6pm at other times
- Somersby Falls picnic area is open 8am to 8pm during daylight savings and is open 8am to 5pm at other times
Other areas of Brisbane Water National Park will be open at all times, however may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park has pay machines that accept both card and coins.
You will need a permit to hold a wedding or undertake commercial photography within the park.Buy annual pass