Byarong Park picnic area
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area
All the practical information you need to know about the Byarong Park picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Byarong Park picnic area is in the Mount Keira precinct of Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area. To get there:
- Heading south on the Southern Freeway from Waterfall towards Wollongong, exit at Figtree.
- Turn left onto the Princes Highway
- After 0.5km, turn left again onto Mount Keira Road. It is 3km to Byarong Park.
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available but it can be a busy place on the weekend, so it might be limited.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area. Here are some of the highlights.
Enjoy a native wildflower display on the Forest walk.
Cool your heels on the Mount Keira ring track, which threads through refreshing rainforest.
Take advantage of the escarpment elevation for a spot of whale watching north of Mount Keira, or from one of the several lookouts.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
16.5°C and 25.6°C
8.3°C and 18.3°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
Assistance may be required to access this area
- Wollongong office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4224 4188
- Unit G Ground Floor, 84 Crown Street, Wollongong NSW 2500
- in Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area in the South Coast region
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger. However, it is recommended that bushwalking only be undertaken during daylight hours because of the presence of cliff edges and other hazards.