Byarong Park picnic area
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area
Easily accessible and featuring all the facilities needed to enjoy a barbecue, the popular Byarong Park picnic area also offers walking track access and birdwatching.
- Picnic areas
- Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area
- Opening times
Byarong Park picnic area is open sunrise to sunset
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch.
Nestled in the Mount Keira foothills, this leafy picnic spot offers a terrific place to fire up the barbecue on a summer’s day. Its convenient location close to Wollongong, and great facilities make it a favourite for families and picnickers.
With plenty of kookaburras, lyrebirds and vibrant parrots overhead, it’s a good idea to bring binoculars for birdwatching. You might even spot an Australian brush turkey, once locally extinct but now on the rise in the Conservation Area.
Adventurers and historians will be able to follow the Mount Keira ring track, tracing some of Surveyor-General Thomas Mitchell’s 1834 road into the Illawarra. Strap on your hiking boots for a scenic walk before an afternoon sausage sizzle.
Take a virtual tour of Byarong Park picnic area captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Wollongong office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
- 02 4224 4188
- Unit G Ground Floor, 84 Crown Street, Wollongong NSW 2500
- in Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area in the South Coast region
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger. However, it is recommended that bushwalking only be undertaken during daylight hours because of the presence of cliff edges and other hazards.