Boonoo Boonoo Falls picnic area
Boonoo Boonoo National Park
Fire affected area
Some areas of this park were affected by fire in 2019/2020. You’ll notice some changes to the landscape, as well as signs of recovery. Some areas may remain closed for longer to allow habitat to recover or because we’re repairing park infrastructure. Stay safe with these after-fire tips for visitors.
Boonoo Boonoo Falls picnic area is not only a great place to eat and rest, it teems with wildlife, wildflowers and is close to Falls lookout, rock pools and River track.
- Picnic areas
- Boonoo Boonoo National Park
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Please note
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Boonoo Boonoo Falls picnic area can become flooded during heavy rain
- The weather can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- You'll need to bring drinking and cooking water
If Boonoo Boonoo National Park were a house, then Boonoo Boonoo Falls picnic area would be its living room. Not only is it an ideal place for a picnic or barbecue breakfast, lunch or dinner, but most other park attractions can be accessed from here.
So meet up with friends, family, your birdwatching group or hiking crew and make the most of this great spot. From the picnic area, it’s only a short easy bushwalk along Boonoo Boonoo Falls walking track to the lookout. Here, you can gaze across the gorge to the awesome sight of Boonoo Boonoo River falling 210 metres down the side of the granite cliff face. Further on are swimming holes, the beginning of River track and access to other hiking trails.
Look out for wallabies and kangaroos around the picnic area, especially at either end of the day. Bring along your binoculars for a spot of birdwatching; woodland birds are often seen grazing in the overhead canopy.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Tenterfield office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6736 4298
- 10 Miles Street, Tenterfield NSW 2372
- in Boonoo Boonoo National Park in the Country NSW region
Boonoo Boonoo National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park uses a self-registration fee collection system. Please bring the correct change.Buy annual pass