Bill Lyle Reserve picnic area
Hill End Historic Site
Bill Lyle Reserve is an ideal place to picnic at Hill End Historic Site. You’ll find free barbecues, picnic tables and a playground for the kids.
- Picnic areas
- Hill End Historic Site in Country NSW
- What to
- Sunscreen, hat, drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching.
Located right in the heart of town, Bill Lyle Reserve picnic area, also known as Lyle Park or Lyle Reserve, is an ideal place for a picnic and a great starting point for your walking tour through the historic sites of Hill End.
Grab a coffee or a snack from General Store, or pack a picnic hamper. With picnic tables and free barbecues, the reserve is a great spot to cook up a storm and enjoy a leisurely lunch. The playground will keep the kids entertained, and the local kangaroos might drop by for a visit.
On the nearby creek bank, you’ll find historic ruins of buildings from the glory days of the gold rush. Enjoy some great birdwatching right in the heart of town. King parrots, rosellas and a vast array of other native bird species are commonly seen in the trees above.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Hill End Historic Site office
- Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm. Closed weekends and public holidays.
- 02 6370 9050
- 5 Beyers Avenue, Hill End NSW 2850
- in Hill End Historic Site in the Country NSW region
Hill End Historic Site is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (21)
- 4WD touring (2)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (2)
- Cafes and kiosks (3)
- Educational activities (1)
- Historic heritage (19)
- Other experiences (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (2)
- Sightseeing (4)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (3)