Battery Causeway picnic area
Heathcote National Park
Battery Causeway picnic area is in Sydney’s Heathcote National Park. It’s a peaceful rest stop along Pipeline trail or Bullawaring track, near Lake Eckersley picnic area.
This is a great spot for a picnic lunch as you explore the walking tracks, bike trails, and bush campgrounds of Heathcote National Park. On a hot day, cool your feet in the freshwater creek at the concrete causeway.
Battery Causeway picnic area is a 3.7km walk or mountain bike ride along Pipeline trail, from Heathcote train station. It’s a 7km steep walk via Bullawarring walking track, from Waterfall train station.
Bullawarring walking track
For great Sydney bushwalking, visit Heathcote National Park, near Waterfall in the Sutherland shire; combine your hike with birdwatching and freshwater swimming.
Lake Eckersley picnic area
For a great day out just an hour south of Sydney, head to Lake Eckersley picnic area. Located near Waterfall in Heathcote National Park, this remote spot is a scenic place to swim and bushwalk.
These maps give a basic overview of park attractions and facilities, and may not be detailed enough for some activities. We recommend that you buy a topographic map before you go exploring.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Royal National Park Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9542 0648
- 1300 072 757 for campground and cottage bookings
- 2 Lady Carrington Drive, Audley, NSW 2232
- in Heathcote National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and South Coast regions
Heathcote National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (46)
- Aboriginal culture (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (18)
- Cafes and kiosks (2)
- Canoeing/paddling (5)
- Cultural heritage (1)
- Cycling (4)
- Fishing (3)
- Historic heritage (1)
- Horse riding (1)
- Other experiences (3)
- Picnics and barbecues (17)
- Sightseeing (13)
- Surfing (1)
- Swimming (7)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (25)
- Waterfalls (5)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (5)