Apple Box Flat picnic area
Yanununbeyan State Conservation Area
Apple Box Flat picnic area is a grassy clearing near Queanbeyan River and is a great spot for picnicking and a spot of birdwatching in Yanununbeyan State Conservation Area.
- Picnic areas
- Yanununbeyan State Conservation Area
- Please note
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching.
Apple Box Flat picnic area, in Yanununbeyan State Conservation Area, allows you to enjoy a totally natural environment without having to travel very far from civilisation. Bring a picnic lunch and make a day of it or stock up at the bakery of a nearby town and roll out the thermos for a break from the highway
Apple Box Flat picnic area is situated in an open grassy clearing surrounded by eucalypts such as black sallee, scribbly gum, peppermint, brittle gum and, of course, apple box. In fact, there’s a particularly old and unusually large apple box at the picnic area. Apparently, apple box honey is sensational.
From your picnic area, there’s a whole park to explore if you have the time and energy. Queanbeyan River is a short walk through the bush and there are plenty of fire trails to follow. Take along your binoculars for birdwatching and keep an eye out for wildlife along the way.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Queanbeyan office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6229 7166
- Level 3, 11 Farrer Street, Queanbeyan NSW 2620
- in Yanununbeyan State Conservation Area in the Country NSW region
Yanununbeyan State Conservation Area may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.