West Kaputar lookout
Mount Kaputar National Park
All the practical information you need to know about West Kaputar lookout.
Getting there and parking
West Kaputar lookout is in the Kaputar plateau precinct of Mount Kaputar National Park. To get there:
- From Narrabri take Old Gunnedah Road south.
- After about 2.5km turn left onto Kaputar Road.
- Follow Kaputar Road for 27km to Mount Kaputar National Park entrance. The road from the park entrance is a steep, single lane road and caravans are not permitted.
- West Kaputar lookout is located about 18km along on the left.
Check the weather before you set out as the road to West Kaputar lookout can be closed due to snow and ice.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at West Kaputar lookout.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Mount Kaputar National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
This is one of the best times of year to visit the park, with ideal temperatures for bush walking, cycling and camping.
A beautiful time of year to enjoy the abundant wildflowers and birds.
Escape the heat of the plains by heading up into the park.
Experience the mist surrounding the high plateau area and enjoy the beauty of the occasional blanketing of snow. Be prepared for the temperatures about 10°C cooler than in the nearby town of Narrabri.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
21°C and 35°C
7°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Maps and downloads
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.