Capertee National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Valley lookout.
Getting there and parking
Valley lookout is in Capertee National Park, near Capertee. To get there:
From Lithgow or Mudgee:
- Take the Castlereagh Highway to Capertee
- Turn off towards Glen Davis onto Glen Davis Road and drive 29km
- Turn left onto Glen Alice Road, towards Rylstone, and continue around 21.5km
- Turn left onto Port Macquarie Road and follow 6km to the locked gate at the park boundary (you’ll need to get the access code before arriving)
- From the locked gate continue around 5km to the Capertee River causeway
- Follow the road around to the right to cross the river and reach a visitor information bay
- From the visitor information bay, follow the road north for 5km to reach the lookout.
Road access and conditions
- Access to Capertee National Park is via a locked gate. For the gate access code please contact the Mudgee office on weekdays, or Blue Mountains Heritage Centre on weekends, during office hours, before you set out.
- If you’re staying at Capertee campground, cottage or homestead you’ll receive the gate access code with your email booking confirmation.
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Capertee National Park may be flooded after heavy rain.
- Mixture of sealed and unsealed roads
- Most roads suitable for 2WD vehicles (no long vehicle access)
- Dry weather only
Parking is available at the lookout.
Toilets and picnic tables are available at Capertee campground, around a 5km drive from the lookout.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
Medium access presents some minor difficulties, such as a grassy surface. You may require a little assistance to get around in some areas.
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
Camping is not permitted at the lookout. You can camp nearby at Capertee campground. Bookings required.
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
Commercial filming or photography is prohibited without prior consent. You must apply for permission and contact the local office.
Pets and domestic animals (other than certified assistance animals) are not permitted. Find out which regional parks allow dog walking and see the pets in parks policy for more information.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Mudgee office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:30pm.
- 02 6370 9000
- 27 Inglis Street, Mudgee NSW 2850
- in Capertee National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and Country NSW regions
Capertee National Park has a locked entry gate. If you're visiting during the day, get the gate code by calling Mudgee Office (weekdays) or Blue Mountains Heritage Centre (weekends).