The Narrow Place lookout
Watagans National Park
For scenic views of Hunter Valley, you can't go past The Narrow Place lookout in Watagans National Park. Visit this historic lookout, near Cessnock, to go sightseeing or birdwatching.
- Watagans National Park
- Opening times
The Narrow Place lookout is always open, but may need to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- In summer, this section of the park can be subject to higher chance of bushfire and should be avoided during extreme fire danger.
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you're well-prepared for your visit.
- Please always supervise children at this attraction and ensure they stay behind the protective barrier
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
This lofty vantage point was named by the local Hall family, long-established landowner graziers. They would use the steep narrow track to lead their horses up onto the escarpment from well below the lookout.
Today, the name has stuck, but there's no need to saddle up for a visit. It’s easily accessible by car and is popular with 4WD tourers, or it can be accessed on foot as part of Great North walk.
Positioned high amidst dry grassy woodland with prominent rocky outcrops and scree slopes below, The Narrow Place lookout offers scenic northern views over Hunter Valley towns including Quorrobolong, Paxton, Ellalong, Cessnock and Kurri Kurri.
A truly idyllic spot, it's a favourite with Watagans National Park visitors and offers inspiration for photographers, sightseers and trekkers alike.
Keep an eye out for wildlife when you visit, too. Endangered brush-tailed rock wallabies are known to sun themselves below the escarpment, and birdwatching is at its best in summer when mighty wedge-tailed eagles take to the skies.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- in Watagans National Park in the North Coast region
Watagans National Park is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather, roads closures or high fire danger.