Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area
The most scenic views of Mount Keira can be found at Robertson’s lookout, and tables make this a terrific picnic spot as well.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
This easily accessible lookout on the edge of the escarpment offers a scenic take on the area. Standing on the wooden viewing platform, the splendid Mount Keira looms in the centre of the amazing view, but you’re offered a clear view of the coast and lush rainforest too. Bring binoculars for birdwatching, keeping watch for kookaburras and lyrebirds. Flashes of colour might be local parrots foraging in the canopy below.
With a view this good, it’s tempting to linger for lunch. Picnic tables mean you can pack a basket and pass a relaxing afternoon watching the clouds float over the best remaining sub-tropical rainforest in the region. If you’re after a barbecue, the well-equipped Byarong Park is a good alternative, just a short drive away.
Take a virtual tour of Robertson lookout captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Wollongong office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4224 4188
- Unit G Ground Floor, 84 Crown Street, Wollongong NSW 2500
- in Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area in the South Coast region
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger. However, it is recommended that bushwalking only be undertaken during daylight hours because of the presence of cliff edges and other hazards.
Things to do (56)
- Aboriginal culture (2)
- Adventure sports (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (12)
- Canoeing/paddling (4)
- Cultural heritage (2)
- Cycling (2)
- Historic heritage (3)
- Other experiences (4)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (9)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (5)
- Sightseeing (24)
- Swimming (1)
- Walking (30)
- Waterfalls (13)
- Waterhole (1)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (4)