Gibraltar Range National Park
Fire affected area
Some areas of this park were affected by fire in 2019/2020. You’ll notice some changes to the landscape, as well as signs of recovery. Some areas may remain closed for longer to allow habitat to recover or because we’re repairing park infrastructure. Stay safe with these after-fire tips for visitors.
This well-positioned lookout has been used for centuries, and offers tremendous views over the Bindery-Mann wilderness, with birdwatching and picnic opportunities close by.
- Gibraltar Range National Park
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable and the park is in a remote area; please ensure you are well prepared for your visit and advise a friend or family member of your plans.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch.
Named after a spur used by Aboriginals and stockmen in their descent to Mann River, this lookout offers a spectacular survey point for the entire Bindery-Mann Wilderness Area. You can see the challenging slopes and ridges once traversed by early graziers and miners. Sometimes mist rolls in, creating a dazzling scene of ghostly hollows and quiet rainforest down below.
This is a terrific spot for birdwatching: you might even glimpse a wedge-tailed eagle soaring on updrafts created by coastal sea breezes as they push onto the tablelands. Eastern whip birds with their distinctive whip-crack call can also be heard, though watch out for lyrebirds with their unrivalled knack for mimicry.
Bring a picnic lunch and take advantage of the nearby tables, setting down to enjoy the view and the blooming guinea flowers. Whilst early morning and dusk sees wallabies feeding along the road to the lookout.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Glen Innes office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6739 0700
- 68 Church Street, Glen Innes NSW 2370
- in Gibraltar Range National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Gibraltar Range National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather, road damage, or high fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park uses a self-registration fee collection system. Please bring the correct change and display your receipt.Buy annual pass