Kwiambal National Park
Where Severn River enters a steep gorge, you’ll find The Dungeon, with this lookout offering superb views down into the swell, particularly after rain.
- Kwiambal National Park
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
- The weather in this area can be extremely cold during winter and unpredictable. Please ensure you’re well-prepared, bring appropriate clothing and equipment and advise a family member or friend of your travel plans.
After rain, the Severn River churns with extra volume, its water rushing in thunderous flow. A deep river gorge called The Dungeon is the most dramatic passage, with steep walls and granite cascades. This lookout takes you to the top of the gorge, with a scenic view down into the swell. Be sure to keep an eye on the kids – there are cliffs nearby and surfaces are slippery in the wet.
The lookout also offers fine views across the surrounding countryside, with white cypress pines, tumbledown gums, and ironbarks knitting together to form a rich canopy of native trees. On your way to the lookout, you’ll pass open plains areas with eastern grey kangaroos and red-necked wallabies: be sure to bring your camera.
The best time to see animals is September through to March. There are a number of migratory birds that you won’t see until spring, so if birdwatching is of interest, plan your trip accordingly. Mornings and evenings are best for visits, especially on hot days; avid hikers can extend their day by continuing on Junction walk, then settle down for a long barbecue at one of the tables in Lemon Tree Flat campground.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Tenterfield office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6736 4298
- 10 Miles Street, Tenterfield NSW 2372
- in Kwiambal National Park in the Country NSW region
Kwiambal National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.