Captain Cook lookout
Hat Head National Park
Captain Cook lookout is located beneath the Smoky Cape lighthouse near Kempsey on the north coast of NSW. A great spot for picnics and amazing South West Rocks scenic views.
- Hat Head National Park in North Coast
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
For a scenic treat, make your way to Captain Cook lookout at the base of Smoky Cape lighthouse. Pause to feel the salty breeze as you gaze out over the Tasman Sea and Hat Head National Park.
Visit between May and July to see southern right and humpback whales swimming past the headland. Or catch them on their return trip between August and October. Playful dolphins can be seen in the area, too.
As well as being an ideal spot for whale - watchers, Captain Cook lookout is great for birdwatchers, too. Although you don’t even have to watch anything at all if you’d prefer – just sit back, enjoy the clifftop picnic area and feel on top of the world. If you feel like something more energetic, try Jack Perkins walking track or the longer Little Bay to Smoky Cape.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6566 6168
- 73 Trial Bay Gaol Road, Arakoon NSW 2431
- in Hat Head National Park in the North Coast region
Hat Head National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day.Buy annual pass
Things to do (23)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (7)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Canoeing/paddling (2)
- Cultural heritage (2)
- Fishing (3)
- Historic heritage (10)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (6)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (1)
- Sightseeing (12)
- Snorkelling and scuba (1)
- Surfing (1)
- Swimming (4)
- Walking (9)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)