Jack Perkins walking track
Hat Head National Park
The short Jack Perkins walking track, near Smoky Cape picnic area, offers scenic views, wildlife, rainforest, and golden beaches in Hat Head National Park near Kempsey.
- 2km return
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch or whale watch
Jack Perkins walking track is a short walk that boasts some of the best views in Hat Head National Park, only a short drive from Kempsey. Take in spectacular views across the Tasman Sea from Smoky Cape picnic area before stepping out on Jack Perkins walking track.
The track leads downhill through whispering she-oaks. In the branches, you might catch a glimpse of a magnificent glossy black cockatoo, with its red wing tips. Passing through lush rainforest, entwined with liana vines and dotted with cabbage palms, a swamp wallaby may cross your path. Dappled light filters through the dense canopy and the forest comes alive with extraordinary black dragonflies in the warmer months.
The track opens up to heathland, where a boardwalk leads down to the picturesque palm-fringed North Smoky Beach. Refresh yourself with a swim in the turquoise waves before heading back up the path.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6566 6168
- 73 Trial Bay Gaol Road, Arakoon NSW 2431
- in Hat Head National Park in the North Coast region
Hat Head National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day.Buy annual pass