National trail: Crown Creek fire trail
Gardens of Stone National Park
For horseriding or mountain-biking, take Crown Creek fire trail. This iconic part of the east coast's National trail reveals staggering scenic views and a feeling of complete freedom.
- 8.2km one-way
- Time suggested
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- You will need to bring all provisions for your ride and any camping on National trail: Crown Creek fire trail.
- Horse riders and cyclists must give way to all walkers. Cyclists must give way to horse riders. Read the code of practice for horse riding.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
- This park is in a remote location, so please make sure you’re well-prepared, bring appropriate clothing and equipment and advise a family member or friend of your travel plans.
Visitors to Gardens of Stone National Park can ride or bike the Crown Creek fire trail, a section of the iconic National trail, which stretches for 5,330km along the Great Dividing Range of eastern Australia from Cooktown in Queensland to Healesville, near Melbourne.
The trail allows you the total freedom of riding through this unspoilt and dramatic country as well as a sense of the pioneering spirit of the horse riders of old. Taking in the jaw-dropping views and beautiful rock pagodas on horseback or from your bike is not to be missed for wilderness adventurers.
Spring and autumn are the most pleasant times to ride the trail, and you must be self-reliant in the bush.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Mudgee office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:30pm.
- 02 6370 9000
- 27 Inglis Street, Mudgee NSW 2850
- in Gardens of Stone National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Gardens of Stone National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (12)
- 4WD touring (2)
- Aboriginal culture (1)
- Adventure sports (2)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (2)
- Cycling (2)
- Historic heritage (5)
- Horse riding (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (1)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sightseeing (3)
- Walking (4)
- Waterfalls (1)