Willandra shearing precinct
Willandra National Park
Explore the rustic and distinctive woolshed and shearers’ quarters of the Willandra Shearing precinct to experience the fascinating working history of Big Willandra.
- Historic buildings/places
- Willandra National Park
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- This park is in a remote location, so please ensure you’re well-prepared, bring appropriate clothing and equipment and advise a family member or friend of your travel plans.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
An exploration of Big Willandra’s past isn’t complete without a visit to the shearing precinct. After you’ve enjoyed the elegant rooms at the Homestead, wander through these beautiful rustic buildings that tell a different story – about the life of the wandering shearers.
You’ll see the woolshed, overseer’s cottage, shearer’s quarters and ablution blocks. There are plenty more rooms to explore; check out the dining room and kitchen, the cook’s cottage and meat house.
Set well apart from the homestead, these fine old buildings show the social distance between the homestead’s permanent staff and the seasonal workers. Looking out over the vast plains from the woolshed, you get a sense of how tightly knit this team needed to be to combat the isolation of the shearing life.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Griffith office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6966 8100
- 200 Yambil Street, Griffith NSW 2680
- in Willandra National Park in the Murray-Riverina region
Willandra National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park uses a self-registration fee collection system. Please bring correct change.Buy annual pass