Roto House Historic Site
Step back in time and explore the rooms of Roto House, a beautifully preserved, late-Victorian building. If you're lucky you might spot a koala in the surrounding trees.
- Historic buildings/places
- 2 Roto Place, Port Macquarie, NSW, 2444 - in Roto House Historic Site
- Opening times
Roto House is:
- Open daily 10am – 4.30pm, but closed on Christmas Day, Easter Sunday and Anzac Day morning.
- Roto House is staffed by volunteers, so occasionally visitors may find it closed due to unavailability of staff.
- What to
- Sunscreen, drinking water, hat
- Please note
- Bring your binoculars to see birds and koalas, as well as a camera.
From the moment you pass the picket fence and enter the bull-nosed verandah of Roto House, it feels as though you've stepped back in time. Passing inside the front door flanked by ruby lights, you'll enter a grand hallway decorated with cast iron lamps suspended from the ceiling.
Built by surveyor John Flynn in 1891, this 11 room weatherboard house constructed from local red mahogany was occupied by his family right up until 1979. It's still lovingly maintained by the National Parks and Wildlife Service to this day.
Volunteers are available to answer questions and show you around if you're part of a pre-booked tour group.
Weddings can also be booked here and there's plenty of space to set up a marquee. The house and gardens make a unique backdrop for any celebration, ensuring your photos will be special.
If you're just here for the afternoon, make sure the kids get to experience one of the highlights of the park; the Koala Hospital.
Take a virtual tour of Roto House captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Enjoy walking, hiking or cycling along Googik Heritage walking track in Lake Innes Nature Reserve while taking in some of the great sights of Port Macquarie.
You'll pass historic sites, stunning coastal scenery, beaches, and rainforest along the Port Macquarie coastal walk. It can be enjoyed as a full day walk or broken up into several short walks.
Close to Port Macquarie, Sea Acres Rainforest Centre is the gateway to your rainforest experience. Friendly staff provide information and there is a café where you can enjoy a delicious breakfast and lunch.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Visit peaceful Macquarie Nature Reserve, where you can enjoy a family picnic and explore historic heritage at nearby Roto House Historic Site. It’s also a great place for weddings near Port Macquarie.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Port Macquarie office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6588 5555 for general enquiries only, no bookings.
- 22 Blackbutt Road, Port Macquarie NSW 2444