Point Stephens Lighthouse and Fingal Island
Tomaree National Park
Point Stephens Lighthouse on Fingal Island is one of a kind. Kayak or take a boat to the island to explore the lighthouse and historic ruins.
- Historic buildings/places
- Tomaree National Park
- Please note
- It's about 2km from the mainland to the lighthouse. The Fingal sand spit across to Fingal Island and Point Stephens Lighthouse is currently impassable. Sea water covering the sand spit, combined with deep channels and ocean swell, have made the crossing extremely unpredictable and hazardous.
- Check tides before crossing and allow sufficient time for your return journey.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go whale watching.
Point Stephens Lighthouse stands tall and elegant on Fingal Island with a view over the rocks of Fingal Bay.
Built in 1862, Point Stephens Lighthouse features a swept tower base and first floor entrance that give a flared appearance. This construction, along with the terrace of Lighthouse Keepers’ quarters within the lighthouse precinct makes Point Stephens unique among Australian lighthouses.
Point Stephens Lighthouse is even more unique, in that its location on Fingal Island is occasionally connected to the mainland. However at present, it is not possible to reach the lighthouse via the spit so it’s best to get to the island by boat and walk along the track to the lighthouse. The coastal views from the island are pretty amazing as well.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Saving our Species is an innovative conservation program in NSW. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Tomaree National Park in the North Coast region
Tomaree National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Nelson Bay office
02 4984 8200
Contact hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- Level 1, 12B Teramby Road, Nelson Bay NSW 2315
- Email: email@example.com
- Nelson Bay office