Point Stephens Lighthouse and Fingal Island
Tomaree National Park
Take a boat or a tour to Fingal Island and explore Point Stephens Lighthouse and historic ruins. Aquamarine Adventure run regular tours to Fingal Island. It's not safe to walk across the sand spit to the island as the tide and swell can change quickly.
- Historic buildings/places
- Tomaree National Park in North Coast
- Please note
- Fingal Island sand spit is extremely dangerous. There is a high risk of drowning and people have died while crossing and swimming at the sandbar.
- Conditions at Fingal Island sand spit are unpredictable and can change rapidly. Even when the water appears calm, tides, swell and deep channels can quickly cover the sandbar in water. Do not cross in any direction if there is any water over the sandbar.
- The Lighthouse Keepers' Cottages Ruins are closed for public safety reasons. Do not enter the site under any circumstances.
- The safest and most enjoyable way to experience Fingal Island is on an organised boat tour. Regular tours are available with Aquamarine Adventures.
Point Stephens Lighthouse stands tall and elegant on Fingal Island with a view over the rocks of Fingal Bay. The coastal views from the island back to the mainland are worth the effort to get there.
Built in 1862, Point Stephens Lighthouse features a swept tower base and first floor entrance that give a flared appearance. This construction, along with the terrace of Lighthouse Keepers’ quarters within the lighthouse precinct makes Point Stephens unique among Australian lighthouses.
Tours and events at this location
Fingal Island eco-walk and lighthouse tour
Discover the captivating history of Point Stephens Lighthouse and Fingal Island on this tour with Aquamarine Adventures. Take in the incredible views and immerse yourself in this magical landscape in Tomaree National Park, near Nelson Bay.
Download our app
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
Lighthouse tours in NSW national parks
Discover exciting lighthouse tours in NSW national parks to experience captivating maritime heritage and stunning costal views.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- in Tomaree National Park in the North Coast region
Tomaree National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (87)
- 4WD touring (4)
- Aboriginal culture (9)
- Adventure sports (3)
- Beach (8)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (41)
- Canoeing/paddling (10)
- Cultural heritage (1)
- Cycling (14)
- Fishing (17)
- Historic heritage (16)
- Horse riding (2)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (21)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (3)
- Sightseeing (25)
- Snorkelling and scuba (2)
- Surfing (7)
- Swimming (15)
- Walking (35)
- Waterfalls (1)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)