Innes Ruins Historic Site
Innes Ruins at Innes Ruins Historic Site, near Port Macquarie, is closed until further notice due to the impacts of bushfires in October 2019.
- Historic buildings/places
- Innes Ruins Historic Site in North Coast
Access to Innes Ruins is closed until further notice due to the impacts of the 2019 bushfires.
Innes Ruins has a charming setting looking over Lake Innes and is an important remnant of early settlement days on the north coast of NSW. Built by Major Archibald Clunes Innes, it contains rich history about the settlement of NSW, convict labour and the culture of the 1800s.
The Depression of the 1840s brought financial ruin to Innes, and the closure of Port Macquarie as a penal settlement deprived him of convict labour. Following his departure, the house was occupied by a number of people over time, but was derelict by the beginning of the 1900s. It subsequently deteriorated to its present state as a result of natural decay and vandalism.
Today, the ruins are classified by the National Trust of Australia (NSW).
Googik Heritage walking track
Enjoy walking, hiking or cycling along Googik Heritage walking track in Lake Innes Nature Reserve while taking in some of the great sights of Port Macquarie.
Perch Hole picnic area
Perch Hole picnic area, beside Lake Innes, is an idyllic spot for a family celebration, a romantic picnic, or to get away from it all and enjoy some solitude in the middle of nature.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Lake Innes Nature Reserve
At Lake Innes Nature Reserve, near Port Macquarie, visitors can enjoy cycling, fishing, birdwatching, swimming, kayaking and learning about NSW convict settlement history.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Port Macquarie office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6588 5555 for general enquiries only, no bookings.
- 22 Blackbutt Road, Port Macquarie NSW 2444
- in Innes Ruins Historic Site in the North Coast region
Things to do (29)
- Beach (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (10)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Canoeing/paddling (2)
- Cycling (1)
- Educational activities (1)
- Environmental appreciation/study (2)
- Fishing (4)
- Historic heritage (2)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (6)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (1)
- Sightseeing (10)
- Surfing (6)
- Swimming (4)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (14)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)