Cape Baily Lighthouse
Kurnell area in Kamay Botany Bay National Park
Cape Baily Lighthouse is a scenic stop along Cape Baily track in the Kurnell area of Kamay Botany Bay National Park, near Cape Solander.
Opened in 1950, Cape Baily Lighthouse is known for its unusual 1950s concrete tower and 19th century Chance Brothers lantern, powered by solar panels. Built to let north-bound ships travel closer to the coast to avoid strong currents further out to sea, it’s still in use today.
You can reach the lighthouse along a 3km walk from the end of Cape Solander Drive, which offers beautiful coastal views and seasonal whale watching. It’s easily combined with a visit to Cape Solander lookout.
Head to one of Sydney's best whale watching spots. Cape Solander, located in the Kurnell section of Kamay Botany Bay National Park is an unbeatable lookout during whale watching season.
These maps give a basic overview of park attractions and facilities, and may not be detailed enough for some activities. We recommend that you buy a topographic map before you go exploring.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Kurnell Visitor Centre
- CLOSED TO VISITORS. Email and phone contact only. Monday to Friday, 10am to 3.30pm. Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9.30am to 4pm. Closed Christmas holiday.
- 02 9668 2010
- 21 Cape Solander Drive, Kurnell NSW 2231
- in the Kurnell area of Kamay Botany Bay National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
7am–7.30pm August to May. 7am–5.30pm June to July.
Areas may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day applies in the Kurnell area only. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins. The park also has credit card accepting payment facilities.Buy annual pass
Things to do (144)
- Aboriginal culture (10)
- Beach (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (37)
- Cafes and kiosks (4)
- Canoeing/paddling (17)
- Cultural heritage (5)
- Cycling (4)
- Educational activities (2)
- Fishing (12)
- Historic heritage (38)
- Horse riding (1)
- Other experiences (7)
- Photography (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (45)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (6)
- Sightseeing (58)
- Snorkelling and scuba (5)
- Surfing (1)
- Swimming (23)
- Visitor centres (3)
- Walking (64)
- Waterfalls (8)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (11)