Great North walk stage 9: Rainforest walk
Brisbane Water National Park
Enjoy the spectacular views and scenic landscape on this challenging Great North walk. In stage 9, you’ll walk 16km through temperate rainforest within Brisbane Water National Park, near Gosford.
Sunday 27 October and Wednesday 30 October 2019, 7.15am to 3.15pm. Meet at 7am.
- Brisbane Water National Park
- No wheelchair access
- Hard. Minimum 12 years of age.
Adult $19 per person. Child $14 per person. Price includes park entry fee.
- Meeting point
- Hornsby Station. Meet at 7am.
- Bookings required. Phone 1300 072 757 or book online.
Before our tour, we’ll catch the train from Hornsby Station to Wondabyne Station where you’ll start your walk. We'll finish up in Kariong.
Here are some highlights:
- Your walk will start with a challenging steep climb towards Scopas Peak from Wondabyne Station. The steep climb flattens out to a gentle walk over a series of rock platforms along the ridge top. Here you’ll get to enjoy sweeping views over the national park.
- From the ridge top, you'll descend into the temperate rainforest of Piles Creek Gorge. You’ll notice the magnificent sections of blue gum trees that are common in the Sydney basin.
- Your walk will continue out of the valley and towards Girrakool picnic area to break for a late lunch.
- At the end of the tour we’ll make our way towards Kariong to catch a bus to Gosford Station.
Remember to bring snacks, lunch, 2 litres of drinking water and your Opal card for bus and train travel. It's a good idea to wear appropriate clothing and pack weather protection.
Find out about the next walk in the Great North walk challenge.
- in Brisbane Water National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Two picnic areas within the park close of an evening:
- Girrakool picnic area is open 9am to 5pm every day
- Somersby Falls picnic area is open 8am to 8pm during daylight savings and is open 8am to 5pm at other times
Other areas of Brisbane Water National Park will be open at all times, however may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day applies at Girrakool and Somersby Falls picnic areas. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.
You will need a permit to hold a wedding or undertake commercial photography within the park.Buy a pass