Great North walk stage 9: Rainforest walk
Brisbane Water National Park
Enjoy the spectacular views and scenic landscape on this challenging Great North walk. In stage 9, you’ll walk 16km through temperate rainforest within Brisbane Water National Park, near Gosford.
Sunday 24 October and Wednesday 27 October 2021. 7am to 3.15pm. Meet at 6.45am.
- Brisbane Water National Park
- No wheelchair access
- Hard. Suitable for adults only (15 years and over). Some bushwalking experience is recommended. Track may have short, steep hill sections, a rough surface and many steps.
Adult (15 years and over) $25 per person. Concession (Student, Australian pension, Veterans Affairs and Seniors card holders) $20 per person.
- Meeting point
- If leaving from Hornsby Railway Station: Meet at 7am for the 7.22am train to Wondabyne. Make sure you travel in the last carriage and tell train conductor to stop at Wondabyne Station. You’ll arrive at 7.50am. If leaving from Central Coast: Meet at Wondabyne Railway Station at 7.50am.
- Bookings required. Phone 1300 072 757 for more information or book online.
Before our tour, we’ll catch the train from Hornsby Station to Wondabyne Station where you’ll start your walk. We'll finish up in Kariong.
Here are some highlights:
- Your walk will start with a challenging steep climb towards Scopas Peak from Wondabyne Station. The steep climb flattens out to a gentle walk over a series of rock platforms along the ridge top. Here you’ll get to enjoy sweeping views over the national park.
- From the ridge top, you'll descend into the temperate rainforest of Piles Creek Gorge. You’ll notice the magnificent sections of blue gum trees that are common in the Sydney basin.
- Your walk will continue out of the valley and towards Girrakool picnic area to break for a late lunch.
- At the end of the tour we’ll make our way towards Kariong to catch a bus to Gosord Station.
Bring at least 2 litres of drinking water, lunch and snacks. It's a good idea to wear enclosed shoes and bring a hat, rain gear, sunscreen, insect protection and emergency contact information. We’ll be using public transport for one section, so don’t forget your Opal card.
Find out about the next walk in the Great North walk series.
- NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
- in Brisbane Water National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Two picnic areas in Brisbane Water National Park close in the evening:
- Girrakool picnic area is open 7am to 8pm during daylight savings and is open 7am to 6pm at other times
- Somersby Falls picnic area is open 8am to 8pm during daylight savings and is open 8am to 5pm at other times
Other areas of Brisbane Water National Park will be open at all times, however may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day applies at Girrakool and Somersby Falls picnic areas. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.
You will need a permit to hold a wedding or undertake commercial photography within the park.Buy annual pass