Great North walk stage 7: Hawkesbury panorama
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Challenge yourself in stage 7 of the Great North walk series. You’ll hike 13km across Sydney’s north and be greeted with panoramic views of the Hawkesbury region.
Sunday 22 August and Wednesday 25 August 2021, 8.45am to 4pm. Meet at 8.30am.
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- No wheelchair access
- Hard. Suitable for adults adults only (15 years and over). Some bushwalking experience recommended. Tracks may have short steep hill sections, a rough surface and many steps.
Adult (15 years and over) $25 per person. Concession (Student, Australian pension, Veterans Affairs and Seniors card holders) $20 per person.
- Meeting point
- West side of Cowan station. Meet at 8.30am.
- What to
- Drinking water, snacks, sturdy shoes, sunscreen, hat, insect repellent
- Bookings required. Phone 1300 072 757 for more information or book online.
Your walking tour will start in Cowan and finish in Brooklyn within Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
Some highlights of the tour include:
- We’ll begin by following the track to the beautiful foreshore of Jerusalem Bay
- You’ll come across amazing views as you reach the top of the Govett Ridge
- You'll notice various types of vegetation and wildflower species lining the track. These habitats are typical to the temperate rainforest and Hawkesbury sandstone country.
- You'll see some spectacular sandstone overhangs and rock formations throughout the day
- As we get closer to Brooklyn, you'll be greeted with sweeping views of the Hawkesbury River.
- Before we reach our final stop at Hawkesbury River station, we'll stop by Brooklyn Dam. The dam was built in 1864 to supply steam trains travelling on the main north-south line.
Bring at least 2 litres of drinking water, lunch and snacks. It's a good idea to wear enclosed shoes and bring a hat, rain gear, sunscreen, insect protection and emergency contact information. We'll use public transport for one section, so remember to bring your Opal card.
Find out about the next walk in the Great North walk series.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee may apply for day visitors to The Basin campground. Please pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are included in your camping fees.Buy annual pass