Avalanche safety training in Kosciuszko
Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
Whether you’re headed for the backcountry in Kosciuszko National Park or dreaming of an overseas adventure, these avalanche safety courses with Snow Safety Australia are designed to give you a solid foundation in safe backcountry travel.
- Contact Snow Safety Australia for schedule.
- Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
- No wheelchair access
- Contact Snow Safety Australia for pricing.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Bookings required. Book online or email or call Snow Safety Australia on 0402 785 464.
- Please note
- This course offered by Snow Safety Australia is the Avalanche Canada Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 (AST1) course.
- Additional courses also available from Snow Safety Australia.
Want to venture out of bounds, off the trails or into the backcountry? Then now is a good time to learn about winter alpine safety with this course designed by Avalanche Canada, which sets the global standard for avalanche awareness programs.
Run by Snow Safety Australia instructors with excellent knowledge of local terrain, the course is designed to educate you on how to safely travel in the backcountry. Meet your instructors in Jindabyne for classroom instruction, then head out onto the Main Range for a field day to put your new knowledge to practical use.
Geared for snow sports enthusiasts who have little experience with side-country or backcountry travel, this introductory course is based on the most advanced knowledge available. By the time you complete it, you’ll have learned invaluable information on how to travel safely and respect the environment in Kosciuszko National Park.
Snow Safety Australia is a licensed commercial tour operator with a Parks Eco Pass.
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass