Accredited avalanche training in Kosciuszko
Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
COVID-safe tours and events
In line with the latest NSW Government COVID-19 advice, masks are encouraged for indoor settings where you cannot maintain a safe distance from others.
Before you head out on your next backcountry adventure equip yourself with critical alpine safety skills by completing a course with Avalanche Training Australia.
- Contact Avalanche Training Australia for a tour schedule.
- No wheelchair access
- Medium. A moderate level of fitness is required for this course.
- Contact Avalanche Training Australia for pricing.
- Entry fees
Tour price includes park entry fee.
- Bookings required. Book online or email or call Avalanche Training Australia on 0407 412 190.
- Please note
- You must have a good ability to move on snow (ski, snowboard, snowshoe) to participate in an Avalanche Training Australia course.
- To attend the 4-day course you must have completed an MSC Avalanche Awareness course, AST1 or have a similar level of knowledge.
There’s a world of adventure waiting for you in the alpine backcountry. But do you know how to keep yourself safe? Gain the necessary knowledge and skills with an Avalanche New Zealand accredited course, delivered by Avalanche Training Australia.
Run by qualified instructors with extensive knowledge of terrain in Australia and overseas, Avalanche Training Australia’s courses are designed for snow sports enthusiasts of all levels.
Start in the classroom with a theory session before testing your skills out on the snow. Learn about the phenomena of avalanche, how to make informed decisions, identify safe terrain and the practical skills of rescue.
Avalanche training is a must for all backcountry adventure seekers who want to learn about winter alpine safety while experiencing the beauty of Kosciuszko National Park.
Avalanche Training Australia is a licensed commercial tour operator with a Parks Eco Pass.
- Avalanche Training Australia
- 0407 412 190
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass
Things to do (124)
- 4WD touring (4)
- Aboriginal culture (1)
- Adventure sports (6)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (11)
- Cafes and kiosks (2)
- Canoeing/paddling (2)
- Cycling (18)
- Educational activities (1)
- Fishing (8)
- Geotourism (1)
- Historic heritage (14)
- Horse riding (5)
- Other experiences (3)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (22)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (6)
- Show cave tours (6)
- Sightseeing (28)
- Snow sports (27)
- Swimming (8)
- Visitor centres (5)
- Walking (51)
- Waterfalls (9)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (14)