Mount Emperor loop
Kanangra-Boyd National Park
A scenic 12.5km ride across the Boyd Plateau, Mount Emperor loop gives mountain bike riders the opportunity to explore some of the lesser-known corners Kanangra-Boyd National Park.
- 12.5km loop
- Time suggested
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- This park is in a remote location and the weather can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
- It's a good idea to fill in the free trip intention form and hire a PLB before you set out. Bring a topographic map and compass or GPS.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching
Mount Emperor loop is an ideal mountain biking route that follows little-used 4WD trails through upland swamps on the Boyd Plateau.
Not far from Katoomba or the Jenolan Caves, Mount Emperor loop ride is a great way to get off the beaten track and into the surrounding wilderness. Mount Emperor loop is also great for visitors who have already explored Boyd River loop and are seeking a challenge as this trail is shorter but slightly more difficult by comparison.
Get your heart pumping along Ben Lomond trail, and follow until you reach Emperor Creek trail where you’ll find a gradual descent to the cool shade of Box Creek. From here the track climbs back up to intersect the Kowmung River trail where you will enjoy the flat 4.5km back to where you started.
Be sure not to whizz through Mount Emperor loop too fast as you will miss out on delightful scenic views and idyllic photography opportunities along the way.
If you are looking for a place to rest, a leisurely picnic lunch is perfect to take advantage of the natural surroundings on Mount Emperor loop. With the rich birdlife culture within Kanangra-Boyd National Park, you can also enjoy a spot of birdwatching while your heart isn’t under the pump.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Download our app
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Oberon office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6336 6200
- 38 Ross Street, Oberon NSW 2787
- in Kanangra-Boyd National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and Country NSW regions
Kanangra-Boyd is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (10)
- Aboriginal culture (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (1)
- Cycling (2)
- Environmental appreciation/study (2)
- Other experiences (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (1)
- Show cave tours (1)
- Sightseeing (2)
- Swimming (1)
- Walking (4)
- Waterfalls (3)